If things don’t go your way, what should you do? Become a better person? Boost your willpower and self-discipline? Believe in yourself and think positive? „No“, Barbara Sher says in her Ted Talk: „Isolation is the dreamkiller, not your damn attitude!“
She’d been teaching this for decades, before she gave her TEDx Talk in 2016 in Prague.
Now this talk has reached two million views.
What’s it all about?
Barbara Sher, inventor of life coaching before such a thing even existed, a standup comic with a message, tells many success stories and thereby gives us the most powerful tool we can use to make our dreams come true: Support.
You’ll learn what made her come up with the concept of Success Teams.
The talk is full to the brim with stories that make you laugh and think at the same time; here is the video:
Lonely and heroic?
If we look closely, we often tend to believe and live these old stories:
- We think we have to be as tough and self-sufficient as the emotionally underdeveloped lonesome rider.
- Or we believe we need to become a much better person – to be exact: Pay people to make us that better person!
- And we still think we have to transfer puritan workethics to our own wishes like creativity or a better home or job. Hard work and willpower!
What did great inventors and artists have that we don’t?
More talent, more discipline?
Maybe they had the right support and were clever enough to accept it!
Barbara Sher TED Talk: About the power of the support group
- How would you feel if other people took your dreams seriously and would give you ideas and help for pursuing them?
- What could you do if you knew you’d meed a group every week – nice normal people asking you: „How did it go?“
- How would it feel to have a bunch of cheerleaders, loving each new step and comforting you when things go wrong?
Barbara’s stories are inspiring, enlightening, encouraging – empowering.
That’s what’s it all about: Empowerment for your own wishes. That’s what Barbara Sher stands for.
Support group in my life
Thank goodness, in my life I’ve had a lot of support, and I just love it. Among the groups and networks of mutual support there are two formal groups in my „real life“, meeting regularly:
- A women business success team that met on a monthly basis for ten years. I loved the mutual support and strengthening feedback!
- A creative circle meeting once a month to share our results and get encouraging feedback and tipps. This one still exists – we’ve been doing this for over twenty years now. It made me stick with my creative stuff.
And if I didn’t have these groups?
I’d need to form one!
There is no way I could do without the support of different private teams.
Giving and receiving. Asking for help and accepting it. Offering and helping.
It’s so much fun to see wishes come true.
So, how does it work?
- Get together with other people, form a group, meet regularly. Support is key.
- Use the formula „I want to X, but I can’t because of Y“ (the Wish Obstacle Formula by Barbara Sher) – people naturally want to help, when they hear this!
- Collect the ideas and choose what to do next.
- Next week, meet again and say what has happened since last time.
Everybody wants to help. It’s in our genes …
Watch the video of the Barbara Sher Ted Talk and get inspired by the world of possibilities!
Want more help? Use Success Teams
Reach out to somebody. Mutual support is our nature.
Try the Wish Obstacle Formula! Watch the magic happen.
If you want more help – or support for opening a group – check the existing Barbara Sher Success Teams: http://shersuccessteams.com.
On the website it says: „How to get what you really want, even if you have no goals, no character, and you’re often in a lousy mood.“ 🙂
Questions for you
- Have you tried to do everything on your own?
- What is your experience with support groups in your life? Do you use them? Which ones, how many? Why not?
- What would you do, if you knew you couldn’t fail? Could you get the support of a group for it?
- What kind of support is most helpful for you?
Let me know in the comments below.
Subscribe to my Newsletter to get inspirational reminders for your creative journey.
Best for you and your wishes!
Other articles related to Barbara Sher‘ s work
- * START HERE * Hello English Speakers!
- “Too many interests”? You might be a Scanner, and that’s a wonderful thing
- Scanner Anniversary: 10 Years, 10 Scanner Lessons (and a Gift)
Credits: The pictures are taken as screenshots from the Ted Talk on YouTube on October 20 2019.